1154 is earliest record of a place called Whasingatun – developing up to 16th Century into Whasheton. The earliest record of the village’s name appears to have been 1154 when it was known as Whasingatun. This evolved through Whassingetun to Wassington by 1208. By the end of that century, it had become Quasshyngton or Quassingheton and by the 16th and 17th centuries it had become the more recognisable name of Whasheton.
“It is believed that the name derived from the Angles who originated in Schleswig-Holstein and who started coming to Britain after the departure of the Romans in the 5th century. The name probably derives from the Angle term for a hamlet (tun-ton) of the people (-ing) of Hwassa.
“It is recorded that Akery Fitz Bardolf gave the manor of Whashton to his son Bonde fil Ajery, alias Bonde de Wassington or Bonde de Ravensworth in 1156. At one time in the 13th century half the manor was held by Henry Fitz Ranulf and the other by his under-lord, Robert, son and heir of Eudo de Wassington, a descendant of Bonde. However, on the death of Robert in 1286 without an heir the two halves were reunited, since when they have followed the descent of the manor of Ravensworth.
The family of Tailbois possessed considerable property at Whashton.
Johannes Talboys de Whashton, 11 May, 1600.
Richardus Talboyes de Whashton, 1 June, 1606.
Whashton Grange – eighteenth century was built on the site of a toft and croft which was given to Marrick Priory in 1270 along with 60 acres of land.
In 1764 Elizabeth Byerley bequeathed Whashton (as one of 5 manors) to her 5 cousins
Did you know that we are lucky enough to have 3, Grade 2 listed buildings within the parish; Whashton farmhouse, C17th Whashton Lodge C18th and the Old Smithy C18th.
Whashton farmhouse was built in the early years of the 1700’s or perhaps even earlier – two reports show different dates, and had a Georgian extension added alter. A George Henry Harrison was born in Whashton Farm 14th July 1817. He went on to be known as General George Henry de Strabolgie Neville-Plantagenet-Harrison. George – Henry’s father, was called Marley Harrison and he moved to Whashton in 1806 to marry a young lady from Newsham, by the name of Margaret Hutchinson. Marley died in 1822 by falling from his horse near Gingerfield. At the time that Marley and Margaret lived at Whashton Farm as tenants, it was owned by Dr Hutchinson – I am uncertain if this was Margaret’s father. In 1814 the Whashton estate was purchased by Sheldon Craddock of Hartforth on the death of Dr Hutchinson. George – Henry – an eccentric character wrote an extensive folio volume “ History of Yorkshire ( Wapentake of Gilling West), Publisher: London Hazell Watson & Viney Ltd, Publication Date: 1885 Binding: Hardcover – which has been criticised for its accuracy – however it does remain a monument to painstaking research.
George Henry Harrison, or George Henry of Strabolgie Neville Plantagenet-Harrison as he liked to call himself, passed away on July 2, 1890 in London in apparent poverty.
Thanks, must be expressed to Sir Josslyn Gore-Booth for the kind sharing of a document which relates all this information.